Monday, June 13, 2011

Revisiting America

Today was my first chance to walk in several days because of the rain, but everything is greener and the temperature staying in the low 70's, so different than those Alabama temps. Several noticeable things on my walk; no signs saying "pick up after your dog", I haven't even seen one but did hear one bark, no people out walking, very few sounds other than the river I told you about, so peaceful. Several interesting road signs, Biscuit Hollow Road and Fletcher Hill road. One car passed my entire walk. I like this for a change. And the sun is actually shining now.
Enjoyed a wonderful church service yesterday at First Congregational Chuch of Woodstock, Vermont. Such a wonderful mix of people: as many young as old, many colors, lots of young adults with their families. The pastor encouraged learning Bible verses by having families stand together and say the Bible verse they learned in Sunday School. There was a children's sermon, very brief but to the point. Special recognitions of the High School Seniors as they were presented Bibles, as well as first graders receiving Bibles, Sunday School teachers were recognized, and this was the last day for their Youth minister who is leaving for Seminary in Florida.
The pastor, Norman Koop, brought a wonderful message. I can see why people are drawn to this church if the preaching is like this all the time, and I've heard it is.
The pastor's father, Dr. C. Everett Koop, the former Surgeon General of the United States, was there also, and we did meet him.
Good friendly people, all ages involved, and we've been invited to participate, of course. I'm sure we'll go back.
Not sure what we'll do today, but do have something scheduled for Tues. and Thurs. I'll share with you later.

No comments:

Post a Comment