Sunday, January 1, 2012

Revisiting America

I do hope I haven't lost all my readers because I so abruptly stopped blogging.
I assure you it was not intentional, and I do apologize for my "whatever"; laziness, excitement of coming home, not sure how I wanted to close out the adventure, all of the above and more.
I will try to finish the Taos experience and "homecoming". It is January 1, 2012, and I plan, in several weeks, to begin writing the book. Several things are on my calender, then I want a clean slate, and time to recall, revisit, and begin. I'm excited, but very apprehensive, and feeling the pressure of what lies ahead. But, I've had so many encouraging words and offers of help in any way, so it must be done.
November 7, taking my usual morning walk, I met Chris Kane, she was walking her dog, and after talking, with the usual questions, "what are you doing in Taos?, etc: she suggested I call the newspaper and set up an interview. Well, I did that and was pleasantly surprised to have the interview set up for Wednesday, the 9th. Delightful lady, Teresa Dovalpage, Ph.D, Spanish instructor at University, New Mexico, Taos, a native of Cuba, but in the states for many years, came to my casita and we talked for hours. Not sure of a printing date, but I've since received a copy of the article,from my landlady, since comming home. Very nice re-count of the trip.
November 8th, and everything covered in snow, must be 4 to 5 inches deep, bright sun-shiny, trees glistening, everything quiet and hushed, and to me, this dictated a "stay-in" day for fear of a fall or some other catastrophe.
The beauty of a snow here is that it stays around awhile, eventhough its sunny, it's cold enough to keep it from melting. It is so beautiful.
Realizing my time in Taos was very limited I made a list of things I hadn't seen that needed to be visited.
Los Comadras Women's Cooperative Gallery had a wonderful selection of jewelry, sculpture, paintings, representing many women artists of the community. Geraldine Liermann was "manning" the store that particular day and had a beautiful display of Christmas gourds she had painted. I only bought a small one, they were rather expensive.
This is a walking spree so I visited several more galleries, Lasko Gallery, met Geoffery Lasko, artist and printmaker, easy to talk to, very talented, interested in my trip. The Hulse-Warman Gallery with more modern works, the Brodsky Bookshop, owned by Rick Smith, from Baton Rouge, La, nice to talk to about family, football, and comments about writing my book.
A lunch break, then a ride to the "Red Willow Farmer's Market, housed at this time of year, but quite a large endeavor in the spring and summer months. Visited the Town Hall, Library, San Francisco de Asis Church, one of the most photographed in our country, Tony Reyna's shop with all kinds of Indian artifacts, met Jack Hill in the shop who has his creative work in stone and steel visible around town, then revisited Dannie Townsend in the clothing shop, The Spotted Bear, I'm sure there's a reason for that name, and talked awhile. I'm still amazed that shop owners are so willing to just sit and talk, and never seem in a hurry.
Continued visiting the next day. A ride back to the Rio Grande River Bridge, I came over the bridge coming to Taos but was too eager to get to Taos that I. didn't stop and take pictures. This is another scenic spot that is photographed often, and it is beautiful.
Many of these places I'm mentioning will be explained in more detail in the book, and with pictures,I hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment