Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Revisiting America

Yesterday I met Bill Nicholls at the Museum, it's closed now but Joy Day, sorta in charge of the library and a doer in the town, arranged to open it and have Bill meet me there.  He's 92 years old, very bright and articulate, and knows the history of Twin Bridges and the area quite well.  I will spend more time about him in the book, but we were able to talk for awhile and and I enjoyed the many exhibits in the building,  which in itself has quite a history.
Then I was able to meet Jerry Kustich, partner of Glenn Brackett, at Sweetgrass Rods. I'll let the paragraph on their brochure describe Jerry.  Can be found on a stream testing anything from flies to waders to pentagonal bamboo designs, he has become an advocate for public access to Montana's rivers.  Author, writer, devoted environmentalist, rod designer, and dedicated angler, he spends much time on the road as a fly fishing ambassador lecturing on and representing the ideals for which all serious fly anglers stand.  Most interesting person, well educated, former teacher, painter, and goes by their motto," fishing makes us better rod builders. 
After meeting these two owners of Sweetgrass Rods, I can see where their "Promise" comes from.  "Our rods will always lead to water, enlighten your life, enliven your fishing, and heal your spirit when it is ailing."  And I do have an autographed copy of Jerry's book, "At the Rivers's Edge", which I can hardly wait to read.
I will leave tomorrow for Bellingham, Washington to leave on the Ferry, Friday, for Ketchican.  I have no idea about Internet access, WIFY, or anything like that on the Ferry, so I'm not sure when I will blog next.
You're so well aware, already, that there is no schedule for my blogging. 
This has been my shortest stay anywhere and why I ever thought there would be less to do and write about, I don't know.  It has been short, but great.  I will be in Alaska a full month though, arriving on Sunday, Sept. 25th, and leaving Wednesday, October 26.  UNTIL---------------------------  

No comments:

Post a Comment